With Christmas and New Years just around the corner sometimes the excitement can be overshadowed by the fear of having to battle the festive season bulge.
So here are some tips to help you to enjoy the season without putting on those unwanted kilos:
- Don’t go to that party too hungry! Going to a party surrounded by food can put you at risk of overeating. Try having a light snack like some fat reduced yoghurt, a piece of fruit, or some wholegrain crackers with 30 g of fat reduced cheese.
- If will power isn’t your strong point opt for an entrée sized plate instead of a dinner plate when serving yourself your Christmas feast
- Be sure to fill up on vegetables, fruit, low GI carbs, legumes and lean protein before going for anything else
- When eating out choose grilled, steamed, and stir fried options rather than deep fried; choose vegetable based dishes rather than cream based, and ask for sauces and dressings on the side
- Watch that alcohol consumption- aim to stick to the 1-2 standard drinks recommendation, over-consuming can contribute to weight gain
- Don’t forget to fit in some exercise- the long, warm summer days make it more inviting to get about doors and keep active
- Enjoy! The Christmas and New Year season is a time to relax and enjoy spending time with your loved ones so don’t let the fear of the season impacting your weight loss plans stop you from that.
Dietitian (M Diet, APD)